Jim P. Shawver (CRD#: 2571148), a registered representative with Independent Financial Group LLC (CRD#: 7717) in Boynton Beach, Florida, is currently involved in an investor dispute, according to his BrokerCheck record accessed on July 22, 2020. What happened to lead to this dispute? Read on to learn more.
On May 28, 2020, a client filed a complaint against Jim P. Shawver. The client alleges that the broker recommended unsuitable investments, resulting in investor losses. The client is seeking nearly $100,000 in damages. The dispute is pending.
What does it mean to recommend unsuitable investments? As part of their duties, brokers must only recommend investment products that align with a given customer’s risk tolerance, age, need for liquidity, short-term and long-term investment goals, and other factors. Brokers evaluate these factors and how they might fit into a given investment during a “reasonable basis suitability analysis.” In this case, a client is alleging that Jim P. Shawver failed to do this.
Jim P. Shawver has passed the Series 65 – Uniform Investment Adviser Law Examination, the Series 63 – Uniform Securities Agent State Law Examination, the SIE – Securities Industry Essentials Examination, the Series 7 – General Securities Representative Examination, and the Series 52 – Municipal Securities Representative Examination. He is a registered representative and Registered Investment Adviser (RIA) in Florida. He is also licensed to sell securities in Colorado, Connecticut, Iowa, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
Jim P. Shawver has worked in the securities industry for nearly 25 years. Over his 24-year career in the securities industry, Jim P. Shawver has worked for many firms. In addition to Independent Financial Group LLC (CRD#: 7717) in Boynton Beach, Florida, he has also worked for:
- Isaacson Investment Advisors, Inc. (CRD#: 143488)
- Newbridge Financial Services Group, Inc. (CRD#: 130814)
- Newbridge Securities Corporation (CRD#: 104065)
- Asset & Financial Planning, Ltd. (CRD#:110709)
- Prime Capital Services, Inc. (CRD#:18334)
- Zacks Investment Management, Inc. (CRD#:110897)
- Countrywide Investment Services, Inc. (CRD#:103919)
- FTB Advisors, Inc. (CRD#: 17117)
- First Tennessee Brokerage, Inc. (CRD#: 17117)
- Merrill Lynch Pierce Fenner & Smith, Inc. (CRD#: 7691)
- Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated (CRD#: 7691)
- Banc of America Investment Services, Inc. (CRD#: 16361)
- Barnett Investments, Inc. (CRD#: 14897)
- Olde Discount Corporation (CRD#: 5979)
If Jim P. Shawver was your broker and you have questions about your investments, don’t hesitate to contact the securities attorneys of Fitapelli Kurta to learn more about your options for investment loss recovery. Call (877) 238-4175 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for your free case consultation with a securities attorney.